|Reports to:||Chair, Surfing Australia Board|
|Organisation:||Surfing Australia (SA)|
|Location:||Surfing Australia Head Office / High Performance Centre (Casuarina, NSW)|
|Direct Reports:||Surfing Australia employees; contractors; consultants|
Surfing Australia is a National Sporting Organisation (NSO) that was formed in 1963 to establish, guide and promote the development of surfing within Australia. Surfing Australia’s purpose is to create a happier and healthier Australia through surfing. SA is the representative body on the International Surfing Association (ISA) of which there are 100+ member countries and is recognised by the Australian Sports Commission (ASC), the Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) and is a member of the Water Safety Council of Australia.
Surfing is a newly appointed Olympic sport, aiming for medal success in Tokyo 2020. To support this focus, along with podium success in World Championship Tour (WCT) / World Qualifying Series (WQS) events, SA has established a world class High Performance team and facility supporting Australian athletes to become the world’s best surfers and people. The Surfing Australia High Performance Centre is a 4000 sq. meter facility that requires facility management and commercialisation.
Parallel to this is our sport development pathway fostering participation programs including SurfGroms, juniors, national surf schools, boardriders clubs, community development and inclusion programs.
Surfing Australia drives the majority of its revenue through our partnership portfolio and digital business including our own content platform www.mysurf.tv. Surfing Australia has a strong digital content business and produces content for digital and broadcast audiences.
At an exciting time in our business, the position of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) has become available. As CEO, you will drive and deliver organisational strategy, commercial and operational priorities.
- Working in a fast paced, and often complex multi-discipline grassroots and high performance sport environment
- Working within a restricted resource environment
- Working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders and varying agendas
- Balancing corporate and operational requirements within a non-traditional sport culture
- Driving sustainable revenue to support genuine and measurable sport development outcomes
- Attracting, retaining, developing and managing highly engaged and committed employees
You must be an active passionate surfer and bring to the role a genuine understanding and affinity for the sport and lifestyle of surfing alongside commercial acumen and the ability to lead, inspire and bring the best out of your team.
|● Significant experience in a CEO, CFO, COO or other Executive / Senior Management leadership position, ideally in the sport business sector
● Demonstrated ability to identify and grow commercial opportunities to deliver profitable short and long-term outcomes
● Understanding of the sport development pathway from grassroots to professional athlete
● Must possess a solid background in driving commercial partnership revenue and fostering partner relationships
● Proven experience to lead and engage a team and build and influence culture
|● Tertiary qualifications and/or extensive relevant experience in Business Management or related field
● Tertiary qualifications and/or extensive relevant experience in Finance / Commerce / or similar
● First-hand knowledge of a multi-level sport and / or member-based organisation
● Understanding of the Australian sporting system and funding framework
● Understanding of the Olympic campaign process
● An understanding of digital, content and social marketing is required along with the capacity to monetise the digital asset
|● Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to inspire, empower and drive a shared vision throughout the business to achieve successful outcomes
● Strong influencing skills to achieve desired outcomes across a diverse range of stakeholder groups
● Excellent communication skills, including generating and delivering Board reports, presentations to internal and external groups and the ability to converse with all
● Proven ability to make well considered decisions quickly and drive change as required
● Track record of execution of strategy
|● Embody the values of Surfing Australia
● Highly involved member of the team
● Continuous learner
● Positive, strong and high energy
● Relationship building
● Honest and open, integrity
● Strong work ethic
Surfing Australia’s Values
|Real||We live the surfing lifestyle and we share the stoke|
|Progressive||We embrace change and value new ideas|
|Trustworthy||We deliver on our word and exceed expectations|
|Respectful||We appreciate the history, culture and tradition of surfing|
The role is based in our Surfing Australia Head Office / High Performance Centre in Casuarina, NSW and will require some weekend work, regular domestic travel and some international travel. A remuneration package will be structured commensurate with the successful candidates’ skills, experience and alignment to the role.
If you want to join and lead a business full of passionate, energetic and like-minded individuals, please submit a cover letter and CV outlining your suitability for the role and organisation and submit to email@example.com. Please also direct all queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would like to thank everyone in advance for their application for the role, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted by Friday 8th June 2018.