About the business
Surfing NSW, established in 1963, is the largest and longest running of the recognised state bodies for the sport of surfing in Australia. Based at Maroubra Beach, NSW, we are a fun and progressive, not-for-profit organisation.
Surfing NSW exists to ensure a seamless and fulfilling participation pathway for surfers of all ages and stages.
The organisation’s purpose is to create a happier and healthier Australia, through surfing. Our purpose is driven by our core pillars; Community, Programs, Media, Events & Partnerships.
Our vision is to be one of Australia’s most loved and viable sports, creating authentic heroes and champions.
About the role
We are seeking a full-time Events Operations Officer to join our vibrant events team at Surfing NSW. The successful applicant will assist the events team in planning various operational roles and delivering surfing events in all areas of competitions: Junior Pathway, Shortboard (Amateur and Professional), Longboard, Bodyboard, Stand-up paddle board, World Surf League events, and other community and specialty events.
Excellent communication skills, attention to detail and ability to work in a team environment will set apart the best among the candidates. Add a shot of passion for surfing, stoke and experience in events and you could be our ideal candidate.
Preferred start time for the role is Monday 5th July, 2021
Important to note: This role consists of a lot of travel to events throughout the year which consist of a large amount of weekend work.
We are preferably looking for a candidate who is an experienced surfer and has a sound understanding of the surf industry and/or competitions.
- Council event permit applications
- Event insurances applications
- Create operational event plans – Risk Assessments, Safety Plans, OH&S, Covid Safe Plans, Crowd Management Plans, Traffic Control and Water Safety Plans (updating and creating for each event)
- Applying for event specific Grants
- Evaluate event successes and post event reporting
Event planning and administration
- Event Page management with events team
- Entry management with events team
- Create competition draw’s
- Assisting with sourcing and training high quality event personnel
- Event volunteer program
- Vehicle and travel movements coordination for events
Event Equipment and Assets
- Managing equipment storage facility and coordinate deliveries with the office manager
- Ensuring equipment is kept in good working condition
- Packing for events with all necessary equipment needed for each event
Your Responsibilities at Events
- Work approximately 15 weekends of the year away at events
- Staff Management
- Responsible for sponsor/partner signage deliverables
- Coordinate team to deliver necessary event logistics
- Site Management: ensuring all OH&S measures are followed and site is weather proof and secured.
- Gain knowledge and skills required to contest direct specific events
- Assist with communications to event staff for specific events relating to travel and accommodation
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Written skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficient with Microsoft Office – Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Excel in particular
- Ability to coordinate resources efficiently
- Liaise and negotiate with contractors
- Ability to work efficiently to time deadlines
- Knowledge of the surf industry landscape and pathway
- Well organised and good at multi-tasking
Qualifications, Experiences and Licenses
- Degree or Diploma in Event Management, Sports Management, PR, Sports Marketing, Marketing, Business, Event management, Exercise Sport Science, or of similar (Desirable but not essential)
- White card, Fork lift license, Traffic Control License, and Senior First Aid (Desirable but not essential)
- Drivers License
- Previous event working experience
If you feel you possess the above experiences and skills and suit the role please apply and submit a cover letter.
No recruitment agencies please.
Please note only successful candidates will be contacted.
Applications will close from 9am Tuesday 6th July, 2021
Your application will include the following questions:
- Do you have customer service experience?
- What’s your expected annual base salary?
- Do you have experience in a role which requires relationship management experience?
- Do you have experience working towards targets and KPIs?
- What’s your highest level of education?