Surfing Australia (SA) is a National Sporting Organisation (NSO) for surfing (including short board, long board, stand up paddle boarding and bodyboarding) that was formed in 1963 to establish, guide and promote the development of surfing in Australia. The organisation is the link to international surfing pathways including the International Surfing Association and operates in a federated model with 6 State Associations. Surfing is a newly appointed Olympic sport, aiming for success in Tokyo 2020.
SA’s purpose is to create a happier and healthier Australia through surfing. It’s vision is to be one of Australia’s most loved and viable sports creating authentic heroes and champions.
Real – We live the surfing lifestyle and we share the stoke
Respectful – We appreciate our community and celebrate our history and culture
Progressive – We embrace change and innovate
About the role….
SA has a goal to get local women and girls connected and active in, on or around the ocean. The Federal Government (Sport Australia) has supported this ambition, initially on a 12 month basis, providing a strong foundation upon which the successful candidate may develop a successful and sustainable program affecting long term behaviour change in women and girls.
The Program Manager will oversee 5 key components of the program:
- A marketing campaign delivered nationally in conjunction with Sport Australia’s ‘Move It’ campaign
- A calendar of community participation events to inspire and educate communities on the benefits of longer term participation
- A participation program targeting teenage girls, particularly those transitioning out of SurfGroms
- A participation program for women of all ages (18 years and over)
- A network capability program, identifying, supporting and developing female leaders and program providers across the country
There are ambitious targets for the program and the role, based around creating national awareness through marketing and community events resulting in long term behaviour change in 9,000 women and girls over a 12-month period. It’s envisaged the program will grow to a significant scale beyond the initial 12-month phase.
The Program Manager will be supported by a small team of 2-3 direct reports with opportunity for growth as the program develops.
In this newly created position, the successful applicant will be passionate about creating relevant and appealing opportunities for the modern woman and teen to engage in physical activity programs. They will have proven success in taking programs or products from concept to the marketplace, with flare. They will bring contemporary and progressive thinking about how to create meaningful change in surfing delivery, combined with the knowhow and marketing skills to drive, scale and sell this to a vast audience and network. They will be an outstanding team contributor, accustomed to operating in fast-paced, high pressure environments and passionate about creating a happier and healthier Australia through surfing.
Critical skills / attributes…
- Best practice project management skills with a proven ability to drive projects to completion within budgets and agreed timeframes
- Ability to think creatively, strategically and laterally with highly developed problem-solving skills and an ability to manage a high degree of project complexity
- Ability to establish priorities and manage competing deadlines
- Experience in the delivery of community level engagement events
- Understanding of contemporary user journeys and target setting
- Digital knowledge with experience in designing solutions for a modern marketplace
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with particular emphasis in the areas of writing strategies and reports
- A growth mindset, with a willingness and ability to continually upskill and innovate
- Appreciation and understanding of risk management and business process
- A passion for surfing, understanding the surf industry and the needs and culture of surfers
- Ability to manage complex projects across multiple business units and organisations; and
- Ability to drive meaningful and high impact community consultation processes.
The role is based in our Surfing Australia Head Office / High Performance Center in Casuarina, NSW and may require some weekend work and occasional domestic travel.
If you want to join a small business full of passionate, energetic and hardworking individuals click ‘Apply Now’. In your cover letter, please include an explanation of why your experience is specifically relevant to this role with Surfing Australia and why this is your next career move. Please direct all queries to email@example.com.
We thank everyone in advance for their application for the role, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.