ASB MAGAZINE: The first instalment of Behind The Shaper, a collaboration between Surf Visuals and URBNSURF,features 12 established shapers from Victoria’s Surf Coast, the birthplace of modern surf culture and industry here in Australia and internationally recognised around the world. The 12 guest shapers are;
- Banjo Harfield (Banjo Surfboards)
- Corey Graham (Corey Graham Shapes)
- Cory Russell (Cory Surfboards)
- Eiji Shiomoto (Eiji Surf Designs)
- Jack Dell-Rennie (Beige Surfboards)
- John Robertson (Strapper Surf)
- Luca Rossi (Babel Surfboards)
- Marcus Hyett (Hydro Theory)
- Michael van der Klooster (Vanda Surf)
- Ross Slaven (Slaven Surfboards, previously Brute Force)
- Zak Koniaras (Zak Surfboards)
What started out as a small project quickly ballooned into a 80-page magazine in partnership with the team at Surf Visuals and photography by Ed Sloane, a web and social content series on Facebook, as well as Instagram , and a 6 episode podcast mini-series by Lipped, The Surfer’s PodcastEach shaper was tasked with constructing a custom surfboard for them to ride at URBNSURF Melbourne’s soon to be opened wave pool.
A gallery exhibition will take place in Melbourne at 524 Flinders this Friday, May 24th from 5-11pm (event details here, tickets here).